Two Moms-One Breathing Daughter

I had a conversation last evening that will probably stay on my mind a long time. I called a woman for a work related discussion and after getting the project out the way, we began talking about our daughters. I told her how much I missed my daughter, who is away at college, and how hard it is living here without her. She paused and replied "At least your daughter is in college. My daughter died of cancer when she was 17."
I was stunned. Searched for the right words to say but all I could muster up was "I'm sorry." Her daughter had been accepted into a prestigious university and wanted to be a pediatric oncologist. She planned on attending college because she never planned on dying.
This mom started a nonprofit to help other families through a difficult time. Normal Moments, Inc. is devoted to supporting parents with critically ill children in the home, in the hospital, and via web resources so that they can spend as much time as possible sharing the most normal moments possible with their children.
It made me think how being a parent can feel far from normal. At times, you question your decisions and parenting and wonder just how much "normalcy" your household really has. But in the end, no matter how dysfunctional, if you still have your child alive, you must embrace that and be thankful.
Patricia inspired me like I have not been inspired in a long time. To honor her daughter's memory, she recently donated a kidney to a child she had never met. Eventually, she built a relationship with the boy and enjoys watching him grow. A little part of her daughter Melissa radiates from that little boy.
Patricia and I are two moms. One of our daughter remains here in physical form. Both of our daughters are etched in our hearts. Forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to Tory Burch

No Problems with Mary Jane

2021: Took a stand