Don't poke the bear!


"The puritan hated bear baiting, not because it gave pain to the bear, but because it gave pleasure to the spectators."                                  Thomas Babington Macaulay

Deep within all of us lies a ferocious spirit. Most times, it is dormant and at other times it is like a beast startled in the dark by a sudden twig snapping.

For most of my life, I have had to struggle with anger issues and a constant need to battle.  As a child, I had a lot to be angry about. As an adult, I fight for what I perceive to be righteous and I go to war for those who can't fight for themselves. I have a fundamental desire to do what I feel is not only right for those around me but a desire for truth, equality and fairness in the world I have no choice but to live in.

This past week has been a tremendous challenge to my inner warrior. My father instilled in me repeatedly that sometimes you just have to keep your mouth shut and choose your battles carefully. An interesting paradigm because often keeping silent in the face of injustice makes you just as bad as the oppressor. Turning a deaf ear or holding your tongue has never solved a problem and it has never righted a wrong.

When the time comes for you to truly step up and fight for yourself, I challenge you to give it your all. Don't back down once you prepare to battle and come armed heavily with all the facts, knowledge and supporting evidence you need to support your battle. Your opponent has already created their blueprint for your take down. Plan heavily and be smarter.

It takes great courage to challenge someone who may be above you in an organizational structure especially when that person, in a cowardly fashion, uses that structure in an attempt to antagonize, intimidate, demean or even bully you. Day after day, you sit quietly; taking it all in......learning.......simmering.

Be careful when you constantly poke a bear. While each playful jab at the bear's flesh may seem entertaining, eventually that bear is going to wake up and fight you back. And you will be in for a war that you never should have started.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to Tory Burch

No Problems with Mary Jane

2021: Took a stand