A Mom In Action

Yesterday on Mother's Day, I witnessed a heartbreaking incident while picking up my dogs from a boarding facility.  There was a young woman who appeared upset and unnerved standing at the counter recounting the night before.

Even though I was out of state, I was well aware that my area had undergone severe weather. The young woman forgot to let her 14 year old dog back into the house and the dog remained outside overnight in the storm. She had brought him into the 24 hour clinic because he had gone into shock. My heart sank when the conversation changed to the possibility of putting the dog down.

The boarding facility attendant was a bit unsympathetic (perhaps passing judgment) so when she walked away to ask the vet a question I turned to the woman and said that I was sorry that happened and that I hoped her dog would make it. She started crying and said that after working 14 hours, she simply forgot to let him back in and added "I know. I am a horrible human being."

I felt terrible for her. I tried to reassure her that she was human and that mistakes happen in life. The attendant came and took her back. On my way out, a woman ran in and frantically asked where her daughter was. "The one who left her terrier outside?" It was evident that the mother rushed up to the clinic to be with her daughter.

As I walked to my car, I smiled and said "THIS is motherhood. This is what GOOD mother's do." We rush to our children's aid; no matter their age and we want to be by their side in the dark times.

I sure hope her dog made it. As someone who has lost a dog unexpectedly, I know how devastating and hurtful that can be. I've thought about her off and on since it happened. I was able to sleep a little better knowing that regardless of the outcome, she had her mother there to comfort and console her through her own personal storm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to Tory Burch

No Problems with Mary Jane

2021: Took a stand