Let's talk turkey.


Second time is a charm!



 I recently mastered the art of cooking a whole turkey. "What's the big deal?", you might ask. For me, A LOT. Growing up, I always WATCHED the women in my family prepare a beautiful turkey under a watchful eye. I have vivid memories of my mother waking up throughout the night to check on the turkey in the oven every few hours. I also recall my grandmother carefully monitoring the turkey and prized dressing every holiday. Turkey and dressing were always the best part of my childhood holiday meals.

I remember the first attempt at cooking a turkey around the time my daughter was 10 years old. I had no clue what I was doing and left the giblet bag in, didn't season it good nor did it cook up well. It was such a mess! I never attempted to cook one again.

Fast forward to 2017. My employer gave me a beautiful 13 lb. turkey for the holiday. I didn't want it to go to waste so I decided to tackle the task at hand. With the help of some facebook friends, running into Barb at the grocery store, a nice Cabernet and the internet, I prepared the perfect bird. I even mastered a nice cornbread dressing for the first time.

See....the flaw in my upbringing was that I wasn't an active participant in the holiday traditions I enjoyed. I wasn't invited into the kitchen nor did I demonstrate initiative to learn how to cook these things. I was taught to stay in a child's place and a kitchen wasn't a place where I felt welcomed. There were too many things that could hurt a child. "Move out the way!" " That pan is hot! Be careful!" "Don't get too close to the stove!"

So for me.......taking charge and doing something successful was a big source of pride for me this week. What may seem easy to one person may be a lifetime mental hurdle to someone else. Remember that your obstacles and fears and accomplishments have their own merit. You don't owe anyone an explanation on them.

Well as I prepare to eat the last of this bird in a delicious Turkish seasoned turkey salad, I reflect on starting my own holiday meal traditions and hope that I can instruct my daughter on how to properly cook a turkey next year. Be an active participant in traditions and make more beautiful memories that way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to Tory Burch

No Problems with Mary Jane

2021: Took a stand