Are you angry?

Anybody can become angry-that is easy but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree at the right time for the right purpose, and in the right way-that is not within everybody's power and is not easy. {Aristotle}


There seems to be so much anger in the world right now. Driving to work and people are angry. Take too long to order your coffee and the person behind you is angry. New laws go into effect and people are angry. Dangle a flag and people are angry. Anger, anger, anger......

We all get angry. No one is above that. But why are we so angry these days and why are we taking to the computer to vent our frustrations? Do we realize that we can actually insult or turn people away with a current state of emotion which may not even reflect who we fundamentally are?

There are few wastes of time greater than arguing on social media with a complete stranger. You aren't going to type anything that immediately changes their views and why are you investing time and energy into it? I've seen people going back and forth for DAYS on social media arguing over a topic which at the end of the day will NOT directly impact their livelihood, personal agendas or anything that they hold dear to their heart.

The last time I was truly angry was when I was at the receiving end of mistreatment in the workplace. I feel I had the right to be angry. I had to be consciously aware not to take that anger out on my family, my friends and those who were not experiencing the same setbacks that I was facing.

I had to constructively channel that energy into something that was productive and would not cause further harm to my cherished relationships. I had to make sure my anger didn't cloud my objectivity.

If you're angry, I would suggest staying off of social media especially during hot topic days (verdicts, election results, etc.), writing down your emotions, talking to a professional counselor, prayer or mediation, exercise or a simple get away where you can think and have some personal time.

I spent my entire childhood acting out and being angry. Angry at what was done to me and creating anger that never resolved any of my problems; just made them worse and turned people away. Don't regret being angry. Regret setting off a wave of anger that rolls over anyone in your path.

"For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind." {Ralph Waldo Emerson}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to Tory Burch

No Problems with Mary Jane

2021: Took a stand